An important reminder: All CSU students are required to satisfactorily complete CO150: College Composition, which fulfills the All-University Core Curriculum Intermediate Writing requirement (AUCC Category 1A) prior to completion of 60 credits; otherwise, a “Composition HOLD” will be placed on your account and you will be prohibited from registering for other classes. For more information, please visit the English Composition Requirement webpage.
How do I Remove the Composition HOLD Placed on My Registration?
Before the start of every semester, undergraduate students are informed, via email from the Registrar, if they have not completed the AUCC composition requirement. After a student has earned 60 or more Colorado State and transfer semester credits without fulfilling the AUCC composition requirement, the email will also give notice that a Composition Hold has been placed and provide information on how to remove the Hold.
The procedure to remove a Composition HOLD is as follows:
1. You can contact the Registrar’s Office as soon as you receive the email letting you know that a Composition HOLD has been placed on your registration – you do not have to wait for your scheduled registration access time.
- You can contact the Registrar’s Office immediately, if you are currently registered for CO130 or have transfer credit for CO130.
- If you need to take the Directed Self-Placement Survey, once the Survey is completed, you can contact the Registrar’s Office.
- If you are in the Honors Track I program, you will need to register for HONR193.
- If you were automatically placed into CO130 or selected CO130 on the Directed Self-Placement Survey, you will need to select a section of that course for which to register. After successfully completion of CO130, you will need to register for CO150 the following term. CO150 satisfies the All-University Core Curriculum Intermediate Writing requirement (AUCC Category 1A).
- If you were automatically placed into CO150 or selected CO150 on the Directed Self-Placement Survey, you will need to select a section of that course that works with your course schedule.
- If you were placed into CO130 or CO150 and wish to challenge that placement, you will need to complete the online proctored Composition Placement Challenge and Re-Evaluation Essay as soon as possible.
- If you chose to write the Composition Placement Essay, once your score has been entered, you can contact the Registrar’s Office.
2. Once you have chosen a section of composition that works with your schedule, contact the Registrar’s Office in Centennial Hall by calling (970) 491-4860-press zero, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org). If sending an email, please do so from your RAMS email account and include your full name, CSUID number and the CRN for the CO course for which you want to be registered. Please make sure to have the CRN of the section you have chosen available in order to expedite your request.
3. The Registrar’s Office will then remove the Composition HOLD from your academic record and register you for the composition section you selected, which will allow you to proceed with registration starting on your designated registration date/time.
If a student drops or withdraws from the course or does not earn a passing grade, the grade of record will become an “F.” This grade of “F” will be included in the calculation of both the semester GPA and the cumulative GPA as a consequence of not completing the 60-credit completion requirement.